Wednesday 11 April 2012

Make A Stranger Smile

Sometimes I find the best way to make yourself smile is to make a stranger smile.
It is for this reason that today's blog contains sugar sachets, an envelope and a sunshine.

I was inspired today by the wonderful Keri Smith (http://www.kerismith.com/) to be a bit creative. So I went to an art gallery, and thought about what I could do to make a stranger smile. Strangers are just ordinary people, like you or I, but there is one thing that separates us- we haven't spoken. We haven't made human contact or interaction. Isn't it a shame that there are so many brilliant people in the world with so many stories to tell and personal quirks that we just let pass us by?

So I was in the cafe, and I had armed myself with several printed pieces of paper- each sporting a cheerful message that looked like this:
(So kind of like cute Ransom Notes?)

And because on some days all it takes to cheer someone up (aka make a stranger smile) is some kind words printed on a little slip of paper that they can keep, or leave or throw away in anger.

I've decided to post them around places, leave them for people to find and just generally try to spread a little cheer. (Of course some of them depend on the reader actually wearing a hat- I'm sort of taking it as a given that they're wearing shoes).

I started with the sugar sachets in the art gallery:
in the hope that someone would look outside and agree.











I like doing little creative things like this. I've got a sketchbook which has pages which look like this:
<An envelope for 'found things'







and...
<I must have doodled this sun about twenty times on a scrap piece of paper before finally deciding to paint it- I'm not sure if I was practising or procrastinating.















In the spirit of the warm fuzzy feeling inside, today's song is:

No comments:

Post a Comment