Monday 2 April 2012

Here's to Noah (thanks for the shirt)

Today's blog begins, as they all should, in a second hand vintage store that somewhat resembled a dodgy warehouse converted into a nightclub that I saw in a film/TV show the name of which escapes me.

We're off to a good start.

Have you ever experienced that feeling, when you see something and you think, 'I've just got to have that, and I don't know why'? It could be something completely ludicrous and is often something you don't need, but suddenly your brain goes, 'I don't care how little money you'll have left, or where you're going to keep this, or how you're going to use it, but I'm getting it.'

And so that's how I ended up with a genuine shirt from the uniform of the boy scouts of America.
It has a pocket which looks like this:
And a badge on the sleeve which looks like this:
And a label which looks like this:

And it all got me thinking: who owned this shirt before me? Some all-American, bright faced, 'gee whizz' type kid you see in all the old Boy Scouts posters? Something that I found really interesting was the fact that the shirt didn't have any badges on it. And this made me think that maybe it's never been worn- but then I looked more closely, and just above the right pocket, there is a circle of small dots with loose thread and a darker imprint- clearly where a badge once sat.

I know it's silly, but I like to imagine the previous owner of this shirt as some kind of maverick boy scout. You can get badges for literally anything in the boy scouts of america- my favourites being 'Crime Prevention' (upon looking it up I discovered it encourages the lads to visit a jail or a court hearing), 'fingerprinting', 'nuclear science', 'truck transportation' and 'rifle shooting.' Maybe my boy scout, let's call him Noah (as it is the 23rd most popular name in the US, according to the internet) was kicked out of the patrol? Maybe he was stripped of his badge- I think it would have been something like  'Law' or 'Journalism'  because Noah's just that kind of guy- and sent packing, his shirt somehow reaching me in England?

Maybe he's still out there, putting jam in the other boys' shoes or something.

Here's to Noah! (thanks for the shirt)

Today's song of the day is:











2 comments:

  1. Wow! Your shirt is absolutely beautiful! I'm sure Noah would be delighted to know that you are taking such good care of it.
    I've just looked up what you have to do to achieve your Nuclear Science badge. It doesn't sound quite as exciting/stupidly dangerous as I'd hoped... but still, the fact that it exists is pretty cool.
    And I've drafted my English at last! Just need to type it up now...
    Oh, and I'm going up to Scotland to visit my Granny tomorrow, where I probably won't be able to access the Internet for a while, so I won't be able to read your blog for a while :'(
    And you should read Holes by Louis Sachar if you haven't already. It's very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually wouldn't mind a badge that said I had succeeded somehow in Nuclear Science. That way singing the song 'The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades' would actually make sense XD
      Is this some specific English? Am I being stupid? Do I have a serious case of holiday brain where I forget everything that has happened prior to this morning?
      Have fun in Scotland! High-five some highland cows for me :)
      And I have read it and it is very good- I've just finished Just In Case by Meg Rosoff, it was the very definition of a mental Rubiks Cube...

      Delete