Saturday 25 February 2012

A List of Seven of the Best Things

Good afternoon to you, Chums, chaps, fellows, mates, comrades etc etc

Seeing as the world is being ugly and I wish to burn it in the sun (I wonder if any of you will get the reference?), I have decided to cheer myself up by creating a list. Lists are wonderful and underestimated things, my friends- shopping lists, A-Lists, Z-Lists, Hit Lists; every kind is important.

The purpose of today's list is to educate you about things. Namely, the best things. Or the best in my opinion.

So without further ado, I proudly present:
'Elbows on the Table's Official List of the Best Things.'  In no particular order:

1) British Comedy. I am very proud of Britain for procuring some of the best sitcoms and funny people the world has ever seen. Our sense of humour (for the most part) is a very good one indeed.

We've brought you
the Pythons,
 Blackadder (see right for the brilliant Lord Flashheart),
A Bit of Fry and Laurie,
Cabin Pressure and
 the IT Crowd... to name but a few.



2) Going Postal. Of course, I could only be talking about the brilliant book written by one Terry Pratchett. Following with the theme of the best things, I should obviously mention the best Discworld book (I've read). If you haven't read it, go and do so now, on pain of... being poked with a stick. The TV version was brilliant as well.





3) The Arctic Monkeys. A truly brilliant band with possibly some of the best lyrics I've ever heard. They also get the prize for best 'Grease Lightning Quiff on a Frontman.'

This track is 'When the Sun Goes Down' from the album 'Whatever People Say I am, That's What I'm Not'. In the video the girl is played by Lauren Socha (from the fabulous E4 show MISFITS) and this song was used for George's first werewolf transformation on the BBC's Being Human.



4) Russell Tovey.

This one's pretty self explanatory:
a) He's a great actor
b) He has great ears






5) Doctor Who. I think it's near impossible to be from the UK without loving (or at least having seen and pretending not to have enjoyed when you really did) Doctor Who. It's great because it's personal to everyone. Everyone has a favourite companion (mine being Rory or Donna), everyone has a favourite monster/alien (mine being Rossiter and Addams) and everyone has their Doctor (I think mine's Matt Smith, although I do love a bit of Tennant)

6) John Green. A brilliant author (and Nerdfighter and bloke) who has released a truly smashing book 'The Fault in Our Stars.' His books are exceptionally witty and heartfelt and clever, and in the words of Lord Flashheart, they are 'an idea that's hotter than my pants'.

More by John Green:
Paper Towns
An Abundance of Catherines
Looking for Alaska
Will Grayson, Will Grayson

7) Tea (Mainly PG Tips). Without a good cup of tea, I would be completely rubbish at everything. I would never get anything done, never relax and never east digestive biscuits. I drink Tea, therefore I am.










I hope you have enjoyed this list of the best things. I may do a list of the worst things next...

6 comments:

  1. My computer won't play the videos! :(
    But otherwise, a very good list. One of the best lists I've ever seen! Going Postal is excellent, although personally I don't think it could be the best Discworld book without more of Commander Vimes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NUUU!

      I don't get the obsession with the City Watch everyone seems to have XD My brother read all of the books with them in, and I don't get why people like them so much XD

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry, what? WHAT? You can't not like the Watch and you really can't not like Vimes!
      I suggest you read them yourself and reach your own judgement before making hurtful comments like that.

      Delete
    3. I don't not like them (double negatives my friend) but I just don't see the 'WOO THE WATCH' outlook XD
      And I probably should, yet at the moment I am reading 'there is no dog' by meg rosoff XD

      Delete
  2. Ok, fair enough, but I still love them! XD
    And I keep meaning to read that - it looks rather funny...

    ReplyDelete