Saturday 31 March 2012

The End of The World (but not really)


I think up on the list of all the things that suck in the world, rejection probably makes the top ten. Sitting alongside it would probably be: death, death of a loved one, poverty and cheesecake. Rejection comes in many forms: dumping and ignoring, or as it came for me, in an email. You know things aren’t great when it starts with, ‘This must come as a disappointment for you, but…’

But.

Now there are many ways of dealing with rejection. You could sit and smother yourself in ice cream whilst howling about how unfair the world is, and how much you hate everyone and how rubbish you are at everything (this one seems favourable for many people) or you could do what I did, go on an angry bike ride whilst listening to ‘Heavyweight Champion of the World’ by Reverend and the Makers, frighten a man on a horse by doing a skid-turn that doesn’t seem physically possible (or safe) crying angry tears and then blogging about it. But hey, each to their own.

It’s funny, because sometimes you kid yourself into thinking you’ve done well, and that just makes it all the more worse when things don’t turn out how you want them to. For instance, I was over the moon yesterday, I was proud of myself, I felt like I really had a chance, and then it all came crashing down this morning because of a stupid email.

And here’s the mistake I made. I let myself believe that this email was the end. I was rubbish, and I’d never be good at anything ever again. Of course, it’s perfectly reasonable to be upset about things, but you shouldn’t let it hang around you like a bad smell. There’s always next year. I can try again. I can pull through, and in the meantime, I can be kicking the living crap out of every other thing I put my mind to.

What’s that thing? If at first you don’t succeed, try, try, try again?

If at first you don’t succeed, cry for a bit (only a bit), get positive, prove yourself, and try again.

So this is me, saying that rejection isn’t the end of the world. That it’s ok to be upset. Now get off your arse and do something about yourself.

Which is why today's song of the day is *drumroll*  

3 comments:

  1. I nearly cried when I saw you didn't make it!
    But as you say, you can keep trying - is it until you're eighteen? Very good positive thinking, by the way. I like the motto, too. And the song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You nearly cried? that's so sweet, we're both so sappy XD

      I can keep trying until I'm 21, so that's pretty good odds :) I saw someone messaging on their facebook page saying, 'Didn't get in. Thought it would be fourth time lucky' so some people are had worse days than I did :')

      Delete
    2. Aren't we just! XD
      And I'm sure you'll do it by the time you're 21! I feel sorry for that other person, though...
      Apart from that, are you enjoying your holidays? I am, although I have an English assessment that I'm putting off in the hope that it will disappear - it hasn't happened yet but I'm still hoping! XD

      Delete